Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Badass.

Before I even begin to start with a case for God, I begin with a question.

Why does there need to be a case for God?

I mean, if God himself was SO terrified of not existing in our hearts and minds, then He would have made it blatantly obvious by now that He does, in fact, exist. Now I'm referring to God as a human, and as a male - but I only have been as a matter of convenience, rather than as a statement.
To clear that whole mess up - is God a male? Is he even human?
In my opinion (and of course this isn't the right opinion, there is no right opinion when it comes to these things), God can be a number of things. We as humans, having a very limited knowledge of the universe at hand, base our knowledge off of things that we DO know. What do we know then? We know people. We know that people are fundamentally good, we know that people like to love, we know that people are complex but also far too straight forward to understand the abstract concepts that surround us on a daily basis. We know what a fatherly figure looks like, we know how comfortable and forgiving a nurturing mother is. So naturally, we as humans assume that God is in fact, well, human. And why male? Our last era or so has been predominantly masculine, war driven. I'm not saying that males are at nature violent or straightforward or punishing at all. No. I'm just saying that this - tendency, this feeling of drive and such things - is what we have known to make our world go around. And so, naturally, we assume that this is how God makes the world go round. On the contrary, I believe that God is a mix of masculine and feminine. The feminine is mother nature, it is what makes the world exist. Spontaneous, earthy. The masculine though, is our driving force. So the feminine is what makes the world exist, the masculine is why we are still existing. Why the world turns and things move on. The Yin and Yang, so to speak.

And so we move on. What, or who, is God? Well. When in doubt, I always go back to the basic things. And so I ask you - what is the ONE thing that all of us humans believe in?

It's simple, really. It's love.

I believe, that at one point and time, there had been a large amount of collective consciousness swirling around in nothing. Now I say nothing, but I truly do not know what had happened - so bear with me. Anyways. As I was saying, there was this large gathering of love. And well, I feel somehow that there had been a triggering point, when suddenly things started to go into motion. When everything exploded and a plethora of everything became physical. It became. And that of course, is around the time that God happened. Because He is just a manifestation of all of us.

Now whether He has definitive opinions, whether He is active in our lives, I do not know. But basing off of what we do know... I think that God is very human. That He loves us in every single fiber of His being. That He is like a mother in giving us free will. Speaking of free will.. why do we have it? Now all of these things are far too complex to be covered in one shot, but in short I do think that when you really love a person, you would love them enough to let them have a chance at being alive. Even if it meant that they would get hurt. This is love in its purest, unadulterated form. And in turn, this is the way that I think that God behaves. He wants to give us a chance. Even if He knows the consequences that might result in doing so.

So does God exist? I do believe that something out there is active in our lives. I do believe that simple acts of kindness are the miracles that make me smile and have hope in our world. I do believe in, above all, in love.

And for all you skeptics out there - does it matter whether or not we believe in God? Do you really think that God is going to send you to hell simply because of "human error?" Do you truly believe that if there if some bizarre chance that something out there outside of ourselves exists, that it is going to be cruel and heartless? It might as scary as hell to meet God, but I do not think really, that there is a hell. I find the perfectly angelic chaos in which we live in to be reason enough to believe in God -but that is just me. I understand that most people require facts, proof, rewards or a ratification of sorts that this is just not blind faith. And I get that it is hard, if not impossible, for some people to accept anything of what I am saying. That is perfectly viable. Perfectly reasonable. Why should I be right, after all? And this is the beauty of it all. There is no right answer. There are just different ones.

I love the simple things in life. I love it when a mother tucks her child in bed, when a stranger drops a few meager coins into a begging hand. I love it when people smile, when people cry, when they get angry. It is so beautiful. All of it. This, for me, is God.
God for me, is love. There does not always have to be a reason for love. It just happens.
In the same way - does there need to be a reason for God?

2 comments:

  1. i like this somewhat.
    talking about something like this, is really interesting and i like reading people's takes on god and the universe and such, i just have some points that would possibly make your point more clear/ make the piece seem less juvenile.
    1. you shouldn't use such broad terms in your statements the fact that you reference all of humanity and all people on earth makes your following statement easily debated and shown to be false. for example your idea that every person on the planet believes that god is human, doesn't select a specific target so is ultimately voided by my very existence. i believe that god is a "higher" being that humans have been based off of not that he is strictly human. now if you said that everyone believe that jesus was human it would be a much harder point to counteract. also your idea of every person having the same limited knowledge base also encompasses the whole human population therefore every humans knowledge of god is based on one person who has never come in contact with any sort of monotheism ideals and may not even understand the idea of god to begin with.
    2. working on your tone would make the piece flow much better. at the beginning you seem somewhat sarcastic about other peoples ideas of what/who god is and then at the end it seems like you take back everything you previously said. it made me feel slightly confused
    3. plainly addressing the people opposed to you also seemed kinda childish and sloppy making me not take the piece as seriously as i wanted to. although it did get me thinking about how other people react to the idea's of god. which was interesting.
    overall it was pretty good although there were some major flaws but i hope my comment helps you to write more clearly in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very very much.
    I appreciate comments of any sort, but this was far more helpful than anything I have received in a while.

    To be honest, I am lazy at best when it comes to editing. For me, writing is more of a release of all the conflicting ideas inside of my head rather than a statement I am making to the world.
    Which is juvenile. But it is also mature, depending on how you think about it.
    But I realize... how taxing and tiresome this complete lack of organization, function and flow can be to the reader. I am looking back on this and finding disfunction between words, sentences, paragraphs. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete